Saturday, July 5, 2014

Pace




Twice in the last week, I’ve found myself floating near sleeping otters. I mistook one of them for a log until he rolled over to take a glance at the canoe I was paddling. After he checked to make sure I was nothing of concern, he went back to sleep. 

Grewingk glacier sits at the back of a lake in Kachemak Bay State Park. If you get the chance to see it from above, it looks like a river cascading through a valley. And really, that’s what it is; a very cold river that’s taking its time to reach its destination. Does the water get impatient as it slowly slides down the mountain? I think it’s enjoying the ride.

Some days I’d like to live like an otter with the patience of a glacier. The summer rush is here. It’s a season of nonstop movement. No time to sit, write, or catch up on chores. It’s the short window in which life in Alaska prepares for the long winter. Thankfully, there are a few exceptions on land and in water to remind us that not all things are based on short seasons. 


No comments:

Post a Comment